I love to cook stuff on sheet trays in the oven. I love the concentrated, caramelized flavors that come out of a piping hot oven. I love that there are no pots and pans to wash. I love it when I line a tray with foil and all I have to do is pull the foil off and throw it away.
There are two things to remember when you make this kind of meal on a weeknight. The first thing is to have a really hot oven. If you're in the 300s, it's just not hot enough. I like to roast at 450°. The second thing to remember is to cut your ingredients thinly and uniformly. That way, the food will be cooked through as well as caramelized. On a tuesday night when you get home from work, you don't have time to roast anything nice and slow for an hour or more.
You'll notice I'm on a smoked paprika kick. I go through phases where I use a certain spice over and over again. Feel free to substitute whatever seasoning blend you like. If you have that jar of seasoning you got as a gift and don't know what to use it on, use it here! Just remember to season the vegetables well with salt and pepper.
ROASTED SAUSAGE WITH POTATOES AND PEPPERS
Ingredients: 1 package (1.5 lbs) Italian sausage, 1 lb small red potatoes, 1 red onion, 2 red bell peppers, olive oil, 1-2 tsp kosher salt, pepper, 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat your oven to 450°.
- Line a sheet pan with foil. You don't have to line it with foil but it makes for easy clean up. Throw the pan in the oven while it preheats so it gets nice and hot.
- Slice your potatoes thinly into rounds that are about a quarter-inch thick.
- Julienne the red peppers into quarter-inch spears.
- Slice the onion into thin strips.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the vegetables and add 2-3 TBs of olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika and mix well until everything is coated nicely.
- Cut each link of sausage into 3 chunks.
- When the oven has come up to temperature, pull the hot pan out and spread out the vegetables.
- Nestle the sausage pieces into the pan of vegetables, making sure the sausage pieces come into contact with the pan.
- Throw the whole pan in the oven for 30-45 minutes.
- When things start looking golden, brown, and delicious, and the sausage and potatoes are cooked through, you're good to go.